Study in Australia
Study in Australia
Do you want to study in Australia? IELTS can help you get there.
IELTS is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language test, with over 2 million tests taken in the last year.
It is the only major English language test with a face-to-face speaking assessment, which means that you can be confident that your score will truly reflect your ability in real life situations.
IELTS test scores are accepted by top universities for studying in Australia, and over 9,000 institutions worldwide, as proof of English language proficiency.
They recognise that IELTS gives an accurate reflection of your ability to understand, read, write and speak English. This is because the test has been developed by some of the world’s leading experts in English language assessment.
Our online search facility gives full details of all Australian organisations that accept IELTS.
Booking is easy and tests are available up to four times a month. Contact your local test centre to find a test location.
Take IELTS to prove you have the right language skills for studying in Australia.
Applying for studying in Australia takes careful planning. Use our checklists to record your progress.
Up to 3 years before enrolment
- Research institutions in Australia. Find the college or university of your choice, and check the version of IELTS you need to take and the IELTS score required on ‘Who accepts IELTS?’
15-18 months before enrolment
- Maintain a good academic record at your current institution.
- Find your nearest IELTS test centre, check for a convenient date and book your test. You should plan to take the test around 12 – 14 months before enrolment on your course. See ‘How to book the IELTS test’ for details.
- Start preparing for IELTS – even if you are a native English speaker.
- Find out if the institutions you are interested in require an admission test. Start planning to take the test(s) required by your chosen institutions.
- Look at information about studying in Australia from organisations such as Study in Australia.
12-14 months before enrolment
- Take the IELTS test and receive your score within 13 days. Visit ‘Improve your score next time’ for ideas about how to do better next time if you did not achieve the score you need.
- Prepare a folder for each institution you want to apply to so that you can organise all forms, correspondence and receipts.
- Carefully read all application materials and fulfil all requirements by their due dates. Create an application calendar to stay on track.
10-12 months before enrolment
- Complete the admission application for the institution(s) you have chosen.
- Complete your financial aid and scholarship applications.
- Check the visa requirements.
6-9 months before enrolment
At this stage you should know which institutions have accepted you to study in Australia.
- Choose the institution you wish to attend and send in any necessary deposits or paperwork.
3 months before enrolment
- Ensure your study visa application is progressing as required.
- The IELTS Guide to Studying in Australia (PDF, 818 kb)