Study in the UK
Do you want to study in the UK? IELTS can help you get there.
IELTS is the world’s most popular high-stakes English test, with over 2 million tests taken in the last year and it is the only major English language test giving you a two-way face to face language speaking assessment. This gives you confidence knowing you are better equipped for real life situations.
Almost all UK universities and higher education institutions accept IELTS for proof of proficiency in the English Language. The IELTS test gives an accurate reflection of your ability to understand, read, write and speak English. This is because some of the world’s leading experts in English language assessment have developed IELTS.
Our online search facility gives full details of all educational institutions in the UK that accept IELTS.
Booking is easy – either online, or at your local test centre – and tests are available up to four times a month.
Take IELTS to prove you have the right language skills to study in the UK.
UK Study Application checklist
Careful planning is required for applying to study in the UK. Use this checklist to record your progress.
Up to 3 years before enrolment
- Research institutions in the UK. Find the college or university of your choice, and check the version of IELTS you need to take and the IELTS score required on ‘Who accepts IELTS?’
15-18 months before enrolment
- Maintain a good academic record at your current institution.
- Find your nearest IELTS test centre, check for a convenient date and book your test. You should plan to take the test around 12 – 14 months before enrolment on your course. See ‘How to book the IELTS test’ for details.
- Start preparing for IELTS – even if you are a native English speaker.
- Find out if the institutions you are interested in require an admission test. Start planning to take the test(s) required by your chosen institutions.
- Look at information about studying in the UK from organisations such as Education UK and UCAS.
12-14 months before enrolment
- Take the IELTS test and receive your score within 13 days. Visit ‘Improve your score next time’ for ideas about how to do better next time if you did not achieve the score you need.
- Prepare a folder for each institution you want to apply to so that you can organise all forms, correspondence and receipts.
- Carefully read all application materials and fulfil all requirements by their due dates. Create an application calendar to stay on track.
10-12 months before enrolment
- Complete the admission application for the institution(s) you have chosen.
- Complete your financial aid and scholarship applications.
- Check the visa requirements.
6-9 months before enrolment
At this stage you should know which UK institutions have accepted you as a student.
- Choose the UK institution you wish to attend and send in any necessary deposits or paperwork.
3 months before enrolment
- Ensure your visa application is progressing as required.
- The IELTS Guide to Studying in the UK (PDF, 817 kb)