Study in the USA
Do you want to study in the USA? IELTS can help you get there.
IELTS is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language test, with over 2 million tests taken in the last year.
It is the only major English language test with a face-to-face speaking assessment, which means that you can be confident that your score will truly reflect your ability in real life situations.
Over 3,000 higher education institutions and programs in the USA accept IELTS scores as proof of English language proficiency.
- trusted by the USA’s top 25 universities 2011
- accepted by all Ivy League colleges
- used by programs at the top 50 US universities with the most international students
Major institutions all over the US recognize that IELTS gives an accurate reflection of your ability to understand, read, write and speak English. This is because the test has been developed by some of the world’s leading experts in English language assessment.
Our online search facility gives full details of all US organizations that accept IELTS.
Booking is easy – either online, or at your local test center – and tests are available up to four times a month.
Take IELTS to prove you have the right language skills to study in the USA.
Application checklist for studying in USA
Applying to study in the USA takes careful planning. Use our checklists to record your progress.
Up to 3 years before enrollment
- Research institutions in the USA. Find the college or university of your choice, and check the version of IELTS you need to take and the IELTS score required on ‘Who accepts IELTS?’
15-18 months before enrollment
- Maintain a good academic record at your current institution.
- Find your nearest IELTS test center, check for a convenient date and book your test. You should plan to take the test around 12 – 14 months before enrollment on your course. See ‘How to book the IELTS test’ for details.
- Start preparing for IELTS – even if you are a native English speaker.
- Find out if the institutions you are interested in require an admission test. Start planning to take the test(s) required by your chosen institutions.
- Look at information about studying in the US from organizations such as Education USA.
12-14 months before enrollment
- Take the IELTS test and receive your score within 13 days. Visit ‘Improve your score next time’ for ideas about how to do better next time if you did not achieve the score you need.
- Prepare a folder for each institution you want to apply to so that you can organize all forms, correspondence and receipts.
- Carefully read all application materials and fulfill all requirements by their due dates. Create an application calendar to stay on track.
10-12 months before enrollment
- Complete the admission application for the institution(s) you have chosen.
- Complete your financial aid and scholarship applications.
- Check the visa requirements.
6-9 months before enrollment
At this stage you should know which institutions have accepted you as a student.
- Choose the institution you wish to attend and send in any necessary deposits or paperwork.
3 months before enrollment
- Ensure your visa application is progressing as required.