With IELTS from the British Council, you’re assured of an effective, internationally recognised English language assessment that’s been designed by experts.
British Council IELTS is one of the leading English language assessments. The tests were developed by world-leading language assessment specialists, with input from academics, professional bodies and immigration authorities around the world.
IELTS tests all four key English language skills: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. Each test is designed to give an accurate assessment of a test taker's English-speaking ability.
Become a recognising organisation and let IELTS help you find the right people for your business or institution:
- Over 25 years of delivering English language assessments
- Certified examiners
- A comprehensive test of competency in English language communications
- A unique ‘real-world’ Speaking test – trusted for providing an accurate reflection of ability
- Listening test uses a range of accents: North American, Australian, New Zealand and British.
By recognising IELTS, you join more than 10,000 organisations worldwide including some of the world’s most prestigious institutions.
- Educational institutions
- Professional bodies
- Commercial organisations
Recognising organisations are listed on our global database. With over 1.7 million test takers searching the database every year, you gain exposure to millions of potential applicants around the world.
Find out for yourself: Who accepts IELTS?
Easy to administer
Selecting applicants with the right level of English is easy. IELTS was designed to make English language testing simple. To help organisations administer the test, we offer:
- An online results verification service – check a test taker's results quickly and securely, for free.
- A free online bulk download facility – streamline your application processing systems and transfer results directly to your data systems.
Two types of test
IELTS offers two types of test. Both tests measure English language ability to the same high levels.
Having two versions of IELTS ensures that test takers offer the most appropriate English language skills for your organisation – whether they plan to work, train or study:
- IELTS Academic: is designed for universities located in English-speaking countries. It is also the test favoured by professional bodies for registration purposes.
- IELTS General Training: focuses on an individual’s language skills in broad social and workplace contexts. It is typically used by those who are going to English-speaking countries to undertake secondary education, work experience or training programs.
With IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training, you can quickly identify applicants with the English-speaking skills that are most relevant to your needs.
Scores you can trust
IELTS is jointly managed by leaders in English language teaching and assessments: British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English.
Examiners are fully qualified English language specialists certified by Cambridge ESOL, and testing is measured against international benchmarks.
With over 25 years’ experience in English language testing, you can be confident that IELTS results accurately convey a test taker's ability.