The British Council has a range of free IELTS preparation material and advice; both to enable your test takers to do well on the test, and to improve the skills of your teachers. You may also be able to access new or enhanced preparation and training material as a member of one of our IELTS Partnership Programmes.
Preparation materials for test takers
- Road to IELTS: Our free online preparation course for all test takers registering with us enables test takers to view their performance in all four English language skills - Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The interactive progress function helps them to analyse their strengths and weaknesses and plan their learning.
- Free IELTS practice tests: The practice tests will familiarise test takers with the test format and the types of tasks involved in the IELTS test. They can also test themselves under timed conditions and review their answers by comparing them with model answers.
- IELTS mobile apps: Our free preparation apps can help your test takers prepare anywhere, anytime. They will give a comprehensive overview of the IELTS Speaking and Listening sections and include Listening and Speaking practice tests.
- Free online course - Understanding IELTS: Our free six-week IELTS online preparation course will take test participants through each section of the test. At each stage, there will be advice from our video tutor and a team of experienced IELTS educators.
- Videos: We have a range of videos explaining how to prepare for each section of the test, plus real footage of test takers sharing IELTS preparation techniques.
- Preparation books and study guides: We have a wide range of IELTS preparation material available, created by some of the world’s leading English language specialists.
Preparation materials for teachers
- Lessons and activity plans: Use our downloadable lessons and activity plans, specifically designed to improve English skills and familiarise students with IELTS.
- Teacher workshops: Join our free workshops that will discuss practical ways to teach English, and leave you with valuable teaching resources to use with your learners.
- TeachingEnglish website: Whether you’re new to English language teaching or you’re taking the next steps in your career and development, you will find valuable help and opportunities on our Teaching English website.