IELTS is one of the world’s most popular high-stakes English language tests, with 3.5 million tests taken in the past year. It is the English test of choice for educational organisations, professional associations, and employers across Canada.
IELTS is accepted by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and by universities and colleges across Canada, so if you would like to move to Canada, IELTS is the right test for you.
Already in Canada? To take IELTS in Canada, visit the IELTS Canada website.
Immigration to Canada
IELTS was the first test to be recognised by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Immigration Quebec as proof of English language proficiency for Express Entry (Skilled Immigrants), Quebec-selected skilled workers and Provincial Nominee program.
If you are planning to apply for permanent residence or Canadian citizenship, there are different processes you can apply through. The most common is Express Entry, which is an online system that manages applications from skilled workers for permanent residence through three economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class
Canadian provinces and territories also recruit applicants from the same Express Entry pool that you apply to through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) to meet their local labour market needs.
More information on the eligibility for Express Entry programs can be found on Canada.ca website
Similarly, you can apply to the Quebec-selected skilled worker process if you hold a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec) from the Government of Quebec. If you choose this route, you will need to submit a complete permanent residence application, including police certificates.
Canadian Language Requirements
The Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) is the Canadian standard used to describe, measure and recognise the language ability of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants who plan to live and work in Canada.
The table below shows how IELTS General Training test scores equate to the CLB standards:
|IELTS General Training Score|
|Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)||Listening||Reading||Writing||Speaking|
Find out more about the Canadian Language Benchmarks by visiting the CLB to IELTS webpage.
If you would like to work or live in Canada, take the IELTS General training test.
Study in Canada
IELTS is accepted by over 350 institutes and universities in Canada. The IELTS test score can help you achieve the goal of getting accepted into a Canadian college or university.
Post-graduation work permit
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has introduced 3 new measures on post-graduation work permit eligibility for students beginning programs online. These changes are being implemented to provide more flexibility to international students who need or want to start their Canadian study program online from abroad.
The three changes are:
1. Students may now study online from abroad until April 30, 2021, with no time deducted from the length of a future post-graduation work permit, provided 50% of their program of study is eventually completed in Canada.
2. Students who have enrolled in a program that is between 8 and 12 months in length, with a start date from May to September 2020, will be able to complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
3. Students who have already enrolled in a program with a start date from May to September 2020 and study online up to April 30, 2021, and who graduate from more than one eligible program of study, may be able to combine the length of their programs of study when they apply for a post-graduation work permit in the future, as long as 50% of their total studies are completed in Canada.
More information can be found on Canada.ca website
If you would like to study in Canada, take the IELTS Academic test.