What Visa do students need to study in the US?

If you want to study in the United States, you will typically need to apply for one of the following visas. You would apply for your visa from the U.S. embassy of consulate in your country.

Student visa options:

  • F-1 intended for students who wish to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or intensive English language institute. This is the most common type of visa.
  • J-1 exchange visas are typically given to students on a short-term exchange program.
  • M-1 student visas are for students enrolling in non-academic or vocational training programs in the U.S.

Before you apply for your U.S. student visa

Before you can apply for your student visa to study in the U.S. you must receive either an I-20 or a DS-2019 form from the college or university where you have been admitted and documented funding for your first year of study. With the I-20 or DS-2019 in hand, you can then apply for your student visa.

Help with your U.S. student visa application

EducationUSA has a lot of detailed advice on how to prepare and apply for your visa to study in the U.S. Visit their site to find out more about applying for you U.S. student visa.

You can also visit our additional resources for further information about U.S. student visas

Meet the candidates
Meet the candidates 
Connect with us!
facebook_0.png twitter.png
GooglePlus.png youtube.png