An introduction to IELTS Online
The test format and timings for IELTS Online are exactly the same as an IELTS Academic test taken at a test centre. Your Speaking Test will take place with a trained examiner via video call.
Before you book, please contact the organisation you’re applying to and confirm that they accept the online version of the test. For example, IELTS Online is not accepted by immigration authorities.
Can I take the IELTS Online test from home?
You can take the IELTS exam online from home or from any private and well-lit space with a stable internet connection.
Just be sure you can guarantee two hours and fifty minutes of time when you won’t be interrupted.
What are the personal requirements?
- You must be at least 18 years of age and hold a valid passport
What are the technical requirements?
- Most Windows and Mac computers and laptops are suitable for IELTS Online. However you cannot take the test on a tablet or mobile phone.
- You must also download the Inspera Exam Portal software – the platform that supports IELTS Online - and be ready to use it on test day. You can do this using the email link we’ll send you.
We encourage you to check the full list of technical requirements before booking your IELTS Online test. These include speed of internet connection, computer model and operating system, internet browser updates, and more.
How do I know that the test is secure?
To ensure that IELTS Online remains a trusted test, there are several security measures in place:
- ID check process - An examiner will check the identification document which you used to book your test.
- Secure online environment - Once it is activated, the Inspera Exam Portal software will limit access to other functionality on your computer for the duration of your test. You can remove the software as soon as the test is complete.
- Plagiarism check – Test answers must be unique and personal to you.
- Human and AI Proctoring - IELTS Online uses a combination of human and Artificial Intelligence to supervise the test remotely. You will be monitored through your computer’s camera as you take your test.
How long will it take to receive my results?
You will receive your results between 6 – 8 calendar days after taking your test.
How do I prepare for IELTS Online?
For a complete guide to resources supporting all versions of the IELTS test, take a look at our Prepare for IELTS page.
If you have any questions, or need further help, please fill in our contact form.