In light of Covid-19, testing across the United Kingdom and Ireland is currently suspended. Please note, however, that the situation is evolving quickly and updates will be provided as soon as possible.
Please check with your local test centre for details or fill in the form here if you would like us to contact you once registration for IELTS tests open. Thank you for your patience.
With over 50 test locations and up to three test dates per month, booking your IELTS test in the UK has never been easier. Whether it’s for your student visa, emigration, professional development, UK visa or TfL licence, take IELTS - the world’s leading secure English language test.
IELTS testing in Northern Ireland is administered by our official partners - South Eastern Regional College (SERC) and Queen's University Belfast.
IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration is administered by British Council Belfast.
- IELTS (Academic and General Training)
- IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (Academic and General Training)
- IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)
- IELTS at South Eastern Regional College (SERC): £170 - Book now
- IELTS at South Eastern Regional College (SERC) (computer-delivered): £170 - Book now
- IELTS at Queen's University Belfast: £175 - Book now
- IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration: £200 - Book now
- IELTS Life Skills: £150 - Book now
Before you book your test
- Make sure to check which test you need with the organisations you are applying to. If you are looking to work, study or live in the UK, there is a specific IELTS test for UK Visas and Immigration. See which IELTS test is right for you.
- Have a form of valid ID (Passport or national ID card) at hand, as you will need to upload a clear photocopy of it when you book your test. Please note that candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent by a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- Download and read our information for candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for test takers under the age of 16.
- At the British Council, we are committed to providing you with the support you need to enable you to do well in the test. When you book with us, you get free access to Road to IELTS Last Minute course. This includes nine videos giving advice and tutorials, 100 interactive activities and two IELTS Academic practice tests for each of the four skills.
- Pay for your test. Requirements vary so check with your booking centre.
IELTS test date confirmation
- You will receive a confirmation email approximately 5-10 days before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
- Your Speaking test may be scheduled on the same day as the other sections, or on a different day within a 7-day window before or after your main test day. The test centre will send you a confirmation for the Speaking Test date.
- After booking your test, you will also receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- You will also receive your IELTS Reference Number to access the Test Taker Portal. Please make sure that you have included your email address correctly when you book your test.