IELTS for UKVI Academic and General Training and IELTS Life Skills are approved Secure English language tests (SELT) by the UK Home Office for visa applications to the UK.
All British universities and colleges accept IELTS Academic results. This means you may not need to take an IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test but can submit an IELTS Academic result. Before booking your test, make sure to check which test you need with the organisations you are applying to.
The IELTS test you take – and the score you need – will depend on both your visa requirements and/or the requirements of the institution where you plan to study or work.
The IELTS tests below are included on the list of SELT tests and have been approved for UK Visas and Immigration purposes:
|IELTS for UKVI (Academic)||
This test is for test takers wishing to study at undergraduate or postgraduate levels, and for those seeking professional registration in the UK.
IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (Academic) is also available computer in certain locations.
|IELTS for UKVI (General Training)||This test is for test takers wishing to migrate to the UK and for those wishing to train or study below degree level.|
|IELTS Life Skills A1||This test is for those who need to prove their English Speaking and Listening skills as part of their application to UK Visas and Immigration for Sportsperson (T2), Representative of an Overseas Business, or Family (Spouse/partner; Fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner; Parent of a dependent) visas.|
|IELTS Life Skills A2||This test is for those who need to prove their English Speaking and Listening skills as part of their application to UK Visas and Immigration for extension to Family visas (Spouse/partner or Parent of a dependent). (This test is only available in the UK)|
|IELTS Life Skills B1||This test is for those who need to prove their English Speaking and Listening skills as part of their application to UK Visas and Immigration for Citizenship or Settlement (also known as indefinite leave to remain) visas.|
IELTS for UKVI - Academic and General Training
The IELTS for UKVI Academic and General Training tests are suitable for you if you’re applying for the Innovator, Start-up, Skilled Worker (formerly known as Tier 2 General work visa), Minister of Religion (T2) or Student (formerly known as the Tier 4 General student) visa.
IELTS for UKVI tests are designed to meet specific administrative requirements outlined by the UK Home Office and are taken at a UKVI approved test centre.
The actual test taken is the same as IELTS tests for all other purposes and includes the same: content, format, scoring and level of difficulty. Test Report Forms will be slightly different in order to show that you have taken the test at an UKVI approved test centre.
Please note: You can either book IELTS for UKVI online (using the dropdown below), or you can also download the booking form here and register for the test at the test centre. For test date availability, child protection form and information about the payment options, please contact your test centre.
Book with the British Council and you will receive:
- Free access to personalised IELTS for UKVI preparation support package 'GEL IELTS': which includes familiarisation materials, mock tests and practice resources for all four skills.
- Free access to a last minute preparation course 'Road to IELTS': which includes nine videos giving advice and tutorials, 100 interactive activities and two IELTS Academic practice tests for each of the four skills.
- Free practice tests and preparation materials: practice IELTS with the British Council for free online or with a copy of the IELTS Practice book which contains sample tests for IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
- Convenient dates and locations: we have multiple test locations in countries all around the world. There are more than 800 official British Council IELTS test centres, all of which are conveniently located and have modern facilities.
- Five extra Test Report Forms for free: we send these free of charge to institutions you’re applying to (e.g. immigration offices, universities, etc.)
- Easy booking and friendly, professional staff: you can book the test online or in person with convenient payment options. Our experienced staff will help you every step of the way to make sure that your IELTS journey runs smoothly.
To book direct with the British Council, simply choose your country/territory from the dropdown below.