Before taking IELTS Online, please check you have everything you need to take the test. Here are the requirements.
Computer and operating system
To take IELTS Online you must have a laptop or desktop computer, and have no additional screen connected.
You cannot take the test on a mobile, tablet or Chromebook.
- Mac version 10.15 or higher
- Windows version 10 or 11 on 64-bit platforms
- Windows: Minimum 2GB RAM, Recommended minimum 4GB RAM
- Mac: Minimum 4GB RAM, Recommended minimum 8GB RAM
- 400 MB of free storage
- Web camera and microphone (internal or external)
- Upload and download speed of 600kbps (0.6 Mbps)
- CPUs newer than 2011 (Intel Sandy Bridge or newer) with support for SSE 4.2
- Minimum 2 core CPU, Recommended minimum 4 core CPU
- OpenGL 2.0 graphics driver
- Keyboard language setting set to Australia/USA/UK English
Camera, speakers, microphone
You will need the following:
- External or in-built computer camera.
- External or in-built speakers and microphone. Headphones, headsets or any type of ear-device are not permitted.
For the room scan checks you will need to be asked to move your camera to get a full view of your room. You will also need a tablet or mobile phone with a camera for the room scan, and this must be switched off and placed out of reach once the room scan is complete.
Speed of internet connection
We recommend you download the latest version of your internet browser and check your connection speed meets our requirements:
- Minimum internet speed requirements 600kbps
Inspera Exam Portal
To take IELTS Online, you will need to download the Inspera Exam Portal to check if your computer is ready to take the test. Click ‘Next’ which starts the pre-test system checks, using the most recent version of one of the following web browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Apple Safari (for MacOS)
- Mozilla Firefox
We recommend you do this before you register for the test. If your pre-test system checks fail, restart your device and make sure no additional screen is connected to your computer/laptop.