Sign up for the latest news on IELTS Online
Register here to stay up-to-date with IELTS Online and be the first to know when the remote test becomes available in additional countries. You can also sign up to receive information about IELTS preparation materials and webinars.
An introduction to IELTS Online
If you live in Brazil, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Mauritius, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Turkey or Ukraine and want to take the IELTS Academic test, you can now do this via IELTS Online using a computer or laptop.
The test format and timings for IELTS Online are exactly the same as an IELTS Academic test taken at a test centre. Your Speaking Test will take place with a trained examiner via video call.
Before you book, please contact the organisation you’re applying to and confirm that they accept the online version of the test. For example, IELTS Online is not accepted by immigration authorities.
Can I take the IELTS Online test from home?
You can take the IELTS exam online from home or from any private and well-lit space with a stable internet connection.
Just be sure you can guarantee two hours and fifty minutes of time when you won’t be interrupted.
What are the personal requirements?
- You must be at least 18 years of age and hold a valid passport
- You must be living in one of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Mauritius, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Turkey or Ukraine.
If your country is not yet covered by IELTS Online, you can still take the test on paper or on a computer at one of our test venues, located in over 140 countries worldwide. Book an IELTS test in your country.
You can also register with IELTS Online to be notified when new countries become eligible for the remote test.
What are the technical requirements?
- Most Windows and Mac computers and laptops are suitable for IELTS Online. However you cannot take the test on a tablet or mobile phone.
- You must also download the Inspera Exam Portal software – the platform that supports IELTS Online - and be ready to use it on test day. You can do this using the email link we’ll send you.
We encourage you to check the full list of technical requirements before booking your IELTS Online test. These include speed of internet connection, computer model and operating system, internet browser updates, and more.
How do I know that the test is secure?
To ensure that IELTS Online remains a trusted test, there are several security measures in place:
- ID check process - An examiner will check the identification document which you used to book your test.
- Secure online environment - Once it is activated, the Inspera Exam Portal software will limit access to other functionality on your computer for the duration of your test. You can remove the software as soon as the test is complete.
- Plagiarism check – Test answers must be unique and personal to you.
- Human and AI Proctoring - IELTS Online uses a combination of human and Artificial Intelligence to supervise the test remotely. You will be monitored through your computer’s camera as you take your test.
How long will it take to receive my results?
You will receive your results between 6 – 8 calendar days after taking your test.
How do I prepare for IELTS Online?
For a complete guide to resources supporting all versions of the IELTS test, take a look at our Prepare for IELTS page.