What is IELTS Online and how does it work?
If you need to take an IELTS Academic test, you can take it from the comfort of your home or anywhere with a stable internet connection. The test format and timings are exactly the same as an Academic test taken at a test centre, your Speaking Test will take place with a trained examiner via video call.
You can take IELTS Online on your own computer or laptop. IELTS Online uses a combination of human and Artificial Intelligence input to ensure remote proctoring of online testing.
You will need to install the Inspera Exam Portal software before you take the test, which is the platform that IELTS Online runs on. We recommend you do this a day before your test to make sure everything works. You will receive a link to download the software by email.
Test dates and results
IELTS Online is currently available only in Hong Kong. Visit our Hong Kong website for more information.
You will receive your results 3–6 days after your test.
Before you book, please contact the organisation you’re applying to, to confirm that they accept the type of test you are choosing. IELTS Online is not accepted by immigration authorities.
- You must be 18 years old or older
- A valid identification document
- Access to a private, well-lit room
- Two hours and fifty minutes of uninterrupted time
- A stable internet connection
- A computer or laptop (the test cannot be taken on a tablet or mobile phone)
- The Inspera Exam Portal app needs to be downloaded before the test day
Most Windows and Mac computers are suitable for IELTS Online.
We encourage you to check our technical requirements for taking IELTS Online, which include:
- speed of internet connection
- computer model and operating system
- downloading Inspera Exam Portal software
- internet browser updates.
Check the full list of technical requirements here.
To ensure IELTS Online is a trusted test, there are several security measures in place:
- ID check process - An examiner will check your identification document which you used to book your test.
- Secure online environment - Once it is activated at the start of the test, the IELTS Exam Portal software will limit access to other functionality on your computer.When the test is finished, the software can be removed.
- Plagiarism check
- Human and AI Proctoring - You will be monitored through the computer camera for the duration of your test.
Prepare for IELTS Online
You can familiarise yourself with the look and feel of IELTS Online with our free practice and tutorial videos.
Stay up-to-date with IELTS Online
Register here if you want to know when and where will IELTS Online be available. You can also sign up to receive information about IELTS preparation materials and webinars.